Thursday, September 10, 2009

Back to School!

Week One of the school year is almost over in Brooklyn, which means that it's back to the Safe Schools Coalition blog for me!

Though I changed my legal name - first, middle, and last - over the summer, I opted to remain "Mr. Krywanczyk" at my school this year. "Mr. K" is an integral part of my identity there, and I wasn't able to change my name with the Department of Education early enough to give my school and coworkers adequate notice (by my personal estimation). After meeting my three new classes of sixth graders I find myself hoping that my trans-ness won't come up. Maybe that's delusional of me, since I taught some of our current eighth graders as "Ms. Krywanczyk" two years ago. However, I discovered on my arrival for in-service on Tuesday that I had been moved to a different floor from last year, which may increase the chance that my history will not arise in my classroom. Only time will tell.

The most immediate challenge for me this year stems from the fact that all three of my classes are CTT classes. This isn't a problem, per se, it's just that I've never taught a single CTT class before. I think that collaborating with a co-teacher who will be in my room every period and working with a larger number of students with IEPs is a great opportunity, but also a significant change. My co-teacher has been working with CTT classes for twenty-odd years, which is exciting. I already love working with her and have learned from her, too, which is a good sign. After Day Two, I feel hopeful!

3 comments:

  1. Welcome back Lauren! Its great that you posted your thoughts and reactions about the start of the new school year.

    I had to look up CCT class because I didn't know the term, and I see that it stands for collaborative team teaching.

    I'm looking forward to your posts!
    Gabi

    ReplyDelete

  2. I was reading some of your content on this website and I conceive this internet site is really informative best school in mayur vihar! Keep on putting up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the blog filled with so many information. Stopping by hujurpagayour blog helped me to get what I was looking for. Now my task has become as easy as ABC.

    ReplyDelete